Saturday, September 16, 2023

First paintbrush-to-paper for DS #3

 This is the one I've been putting off starting. The horse (which, since I lifted most of the transferred lines before starting to paint, has become nearly invisible) was making me anxious; as a drawing, it has such a sweet and tender feel, which I wanted to bring out, but was worried about getting it right. (The horse shows up here as just some red-brown smudges.)

Then, when an extra session of painting time got scheduled in this week, right before my appointment with  my accountant to do taxes, I was feeling very tired (from getting tax stuff ready!!!) and didn't feel up to doing any sensitive, picky work; but I've kind of used up my easy, broad, fun spaces in the first three - and didn't feel ready to tackle the horse in this one. But then I realized this has a bunch of large areas that I could relax and play with. So this is what I worked on.


I've been looking forward to working on this arch, and its what-might-be-bricks - or, the idea of bricks - and I enjoyed working on that, though this is on a different paper - Canson, rather than Arches - and it behaves quite differently, so it was tricky to get the smooth fade out at the edges; and I didn't quite manage it; but then, it becomes something else, which I'll be exploring what to do with, as I go along.

I also enjoyed working on the delicate lines.


Tech tip: do you want to see this larger? Click on the image to make it almost-full-browser-window size. (This is not the same as "full screen...")

No comments: