Saturday, January 13, 2024

Underwater: finished! And more work on DS #4

 Got several painting times in this week, too. So happy about that. Tuesday I "finished" Underwater, and signed and dated it. I knew there might be some little thing that I was not quite satisfied with, as is often, or almost always, the case, and indeed, I was not totally happy with the dog, so I worked another 5 minutes on Thursday, and felt happy with him.


This is the "finished" stage. I felt like the painting needed more energy, more intense color, and more repeated elements to carry the eye around the painting. So I intensified the color of the orange circle, which may or may not be a sun, and added little flaring bits to the green curve outlining it, and extended that line leftwards with some purple; I brightened the woman's arms and chest; I worked more on the dog; and I added the yellow rectangles with green centers to the tree trunk, also bringing some of that bright yellow up into one of the branches. This pleased me very much!


And here's the dog after that extra five minutes...

 

And a clearer look at those yellow rectangles, and the woman.

Friday afternoon I got some more painting in, this time on DS #4. I have felt very nervous about working on the foal, but was able to spend time on it, and am very happy with how he's going. I also learned more about how and when to use my fine brush - I have preferred to use brushes with fat bellies and fine points for doing fine work, and have felt frustrated with trying to use fine brushes for details, but this time I felt I was getting the hang of it.


I Think We Must Be Underwater, and Infinity Horse, Interlaced, have now gone off to be scanned. Yay!


Tech tip: do you want to see any of these larger? Click on the image to make it almost-full-browser-window size. (This is not the same as "full screen...")

No comments: