Thursday, March 21, 2024

Art Show is up, and starting work on new Dream Surreal watercolors

 Got the show hung today, with help from Phil Horning - thanks! And cheering on from a few passers-by in church (UUCM - Unitarian Universalist Community of the Mountains, in Grass Valley, California). Phew!

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying more breathing space as the pressure to get ready eases off, and have been starting painting on two of my three new pieces. Yesterday I started on night sky with a full moon, behind/among branches - which means the night sky is all in pieces.

I had taped the edges of the sheet, and thought that I could paint my washes right to the edge, and have the tape block it. But I started seeing hints of spreading bleeds of color showing through the tape... and realized that when I get the paper that wet, it acts like sponge, and pulls the paint along, and the tape is no barrier. In fact, now that I think of it, the tape may exert some capillary action on the paint, acting like the opposite of a barrier...

I pulled up part of the tape once the paint had dried enough,  to check whether what I was afraid had happened, had really happened. Yep. The paint bled under the tape. Oh, well. The effect is kind of interesting, though I'd really prefer having crisp edges to having some interesting effects, but I think I can live with it. I am wondering if a better brand of drafting tape would keep this from happening...

I like the moon, though, with a ring around it.


Tech tip: do you want to see this larger? Click on the image to make it almost-full-browser-window size. (This is not the same as "full screen...")

No comments: