Friday, November 24, 2023

Some other new stuff

This last Tuesday (the time that the art group I'm in meets, via Zoom), I hit one of those days when I didn't feel up to working on any of my new series. Pre-Thanksgiving issues, maybe - I don't know. Anyway, it felt like time to just bathe in the colors and how the water spreads them on the paper... So this one is from Tuesday. Maybe finished, maybe not, and maybe "finished" is irrelevant, even:


 I do like it, in any case. The time spent painting was sweet, and what came of it feels soothing and healing to me.


Sometime last month (October 24th) was another time when I hit that I-don't-want-to-work-on-the-new-pieces barrier, and reminded myself that I'm allowed to just play with the paint and water and paper; and this is what came of that:

-- I enjoy this one, too.

 

Then there are my Sunday morning noodlings, with my multi-color colored pencils, and sometimes some color sticks. On Sunday mornings I am usually chat host for the Zoom end of my Unitarian Universalist church's services. I show up an hour and a half early for sound check - I figure I'm a good person to do that, as my ears are not great, even with hearing aids, so if I get the sound right for me, it will probably be good for most people - and I like to keep my hands busy. (This is one thing that feels so good to me about doing art: just having a pencil or a brush in my hand, moving it on the paper, making marks, playing with colors and shapes and patterns.)

Here's one that was continuing this last Sunday (I don't always keep working on them more than one time):

Oh, the edges of leaves! I love the shapes, and I love getting to fill in around them with mindless, soothing, smooth color...

 

One from early last month:

This one was going more slowly and thoughtfully than I usually work on these pieces; I was paying more attention to composition, and going one piece at a time. Add a bit; see how it feels; grope around for what next little bit might want to be added - or, is it time for just something I feel like doing (like the circles above), and see if that adds to it or throws it off...


And one from September:

There are things I really get excited about, in this one! What to do with it? Should I try turning it into a finished painting? Or will it just stay in my sketchbook or my files? I don't know. But I'm enjoying it.

 

Tech tip: do you want to see any of these larger? Click on the image to make it almost-full-browser-window size. (This is not the same as "full screen...")

No comments: