Monday, August 4, 2008

Brillante Weblog Award - a hoax, and meaningful, at the same time



So, my internet friend and fellow artist, Dean H. of Deano's Den, has nominated me for this award, the Brillante Weblog Premio! I am so excited - thank you, Dean!!

It is true, I have since found out that there is no such award; but you know what? I'm STILL excited!

First of all, Dean, whose work I love and admire, picked me; I looked at his other six picks, and feel like I'm in very good company. Hoax or not, to be chosen by Dean feels like a special honor. As Dean says, "This is very much like Tag. It helps us to become familiar with previously undiscovered blogs." (There's a good post about this on Michele's blog With Heart and Hands, a Quilting Journey; she suggests we use it in fun or don't use it at all.) So, I know there will be no Award, only nominations; but the artists I've picked are all people whose work I admire, and whose blogs I enjoy. Maggie and Duane in particular just fill me with awe, and the others amaze me as well - so check 'em out! It is my great pleasure to link to Dean's blog, and to the seven below.

By the way, I have one more artist I would love to nominate, if she had a Blog; her paintings are some of my all-time favorites, and kind of guiding lights for the direction I want to go; so here she is: Alexandra Eldridge

The rules are that if the person receiving the award decides to participate, they must:

1. Put the logo on their blog
2. Add a link to the person who gave them the award
3. Nominate at least 7 other blogs
4. Add links to those blogs on yours
5. Leave a message on each of the blogs nominated.

MY rules (I feel I can make my own, since there's no real award) are: participate if you'd like to; nominate as many or as few other blogs as you'd like, and link to them if you're willing; and leaving a message on their blogs seems like a good idea. And how can you do this without putting the logo in? But you don't have to.

My nominees are:

1. Greywaren Art: Maggie Stiefvater. Maggie is magnificent, amazing, extraordinarily productive, and tremendously helpful and sharing with other artists and writers. Her blog includes not just nearly daily art, but also long written posts, entertaining or informative or BOTH. Besides drawing and painting, and keeping her blog up, she has written a published novel, about to be released; she writes about the processes of art and writing, and, in detail, about the business of getting published, showing art, and so on. AND she has two toddlers, and I'm sure she's a wonderful mom - how does the woman do it all???

2. Duane Keiser. The original daily painter - or one of them - and the king of them all, as far as I'm concerned. When I first started looking at the Daily Painters website, and thinking of trying to join them, Duane's work was so awesome I was almost too intimidated to try. Wow!

3. Grainne O'Reilly's A Daily Painting. She hasn't posted much lately, but I still like her work a lot, especially the abstracts, which I don't see much of among the daily painters.

4. Robert Pauly. Some of the sweetest, most beautiful cats I've seen, in lovely juicy strokes; especially his Maine Coon Cat, Izzy.

5. A Painting a Day by Laura Wamsgans. I enjoy both her landscapes and her people, paintings full of sunshine and a playful spirit.

6. Painted Plums: Cheryl Pass. This is another blog I enjoy for Cheryl's writing as well as her paintings. Right now she has a gorgeous, scrumptuous painting of a Jack Russell terrier and a red oriental rug.

7. Daily Paintings, by Dustin Boutwell. He also hasn't posted in a while - is everyone on vacation? - but I do enjoy his style. ALMOST as intimidating to me as Duane Keiser (it was Duane's Luna Moth that really knocked me for a loop).

So check 'em out, if you haven't before!

1 comment:

Laura Wambsgans said...

Hi Eileen, You are right, just the idea that someone thought your work was worth noting is terrific. Awards just get tossed into the ribbon drawer, tangled and dusty. I am glad you are blogging so we can see your paintings, which are a treat to view. Thank you for the nomination, I'll be smiling all day!