Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Cinder: getting ready to work on her head - WIP #11



Yesterday I did a few touches - cleaning up some window frames; enhancing some highlights, including along Cinder's back; some work on her right hind foot and leg, including highlights, and making her toes bigger - ah, those feet! Nothing like dog paws... And a bit of underlighting in her haunch.

Mostly, though, I spent my time yesterday getting ready to get down to business on Cinder's face. I pulled out all the photos I have of her; for months I have been looking at just the one I'm using in this portrait, but now I need some of the information in those others, especially a better look at her eyes. I picked the one with the clearest view of her eyes; I also decided I'd like to have a clearer view of her head from my main photo, so I scanned it, enlarged it, and messed with it in Photoshop, and likewise with that photo of her eyes, and printed out copies. In the process, I discovered Photoshop's dodge and burn tools...



This is the good photo of Cinder's eyes. What a lovely forehead! This also gives me a good look at her nose...







This is the Photoshopped detail of Cinder's head from the main photo. It's still kinda funky, but at least seeable, and will be very helpful. Now I feel ready to really work on Cinder's face, especially that crucial component, her eyes.

I think my painting may look brighter in this post; if so, that's not a change in the painting, but the result of my deciding to take a chance on the change Photoshop makes to my photo when I use the Auto-Levels feature. I'm not sure if this gives a more accurate color cast, contrast and range, or not, but I'm giving it a try.

Well, on to work...

No comments: